Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Make it! Lentil Crackers


These crackers are really easy, tasty, and higher in protein that straight flour crackers.  The recipe is very forgiving (and may require some adjustment depending on how you cook your lentils), and the taste combinations are unlimited.  I'm not one to always exactly follow a recipe exactly, even my own, so each time I make these I have made them slightly different, and they've always come out great. In fact, the only reason why I wrote up a recipe is so I could share it with other people!

Lentil Crackers

You will need:

2 Cups cooked lentils (I used split red lentils)

4 tablespoons flour of your choice (I use Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend)

4 Tablespoons oil of your choice (I use Olive Oil)

Parchment paper

Salt and spices

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.

Take your 2 cups of cooked salted lentils (salt lentils as they cook in water).  You want them to be fully cooked and mushy. I didn't have hardly any excess water by the time mine were done.  If you do, drain it off.

I cooked a 1 pound bag of lentils and used the rest in other ways.  You can certainly make a really large batch, but you'll need to adjust the proportions.

Put your 2 cups of cooked lentils in a bowl.  Add flour, oil and salt to taste if desired.  Mix it all up with a spoon or your hands (I wet my hands to work with the dough).  Your dough will probably be a little sticky - and that's ok.  Slightly tacky is better than really dry.  Add more flour or water as you go along to get the desired consistency.



Divide the dough in half and make a round ball. It should hold together well even with gluten free flour (the first time I made these I used brown rice flour).  Place on parchment paper or silicone baking mat (you can reuse parchment over and over until it starts to brown and get more fragile - then toss it). Put another piece of parchment on top and roll out your dough evenly until it is thin.


Peel off the top piece of parchment.  Sprinkle with salt and spices (I used Trader Joe's South African Smoke). Cut your thin dough into cracker shapes. A pizza cutter works great for this.  No need to separate them - they will do this in the oven on their own.



Carefully lift the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until brown.  When they are browned they will be fully crispy and cracker like.

Do the same with the other half of the dough.

Store in an airtight container and enjoy!

Do you make crackers? What kind of spices would you use?  

6 comments:

  1. These sound great! I'll try making them next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
    2. I made these crackers this morning with brown lentils and they are great tasting. This is now my favorite homemade cracker recipe. Thanks. Patricia

      Delete
    3. Yay! I'm so glad they turned out for you!!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! You keep posting about making these on the Prudent Homemaker, I was hoping you would share this awesome recipe. (Made some yesterday) A great sub for this carb loving gal!

    ReplyDelete

Many minds are better than one, thank you for joining me on my frugal journey! This is a place to share what you know, ask questions, or tell stories. Glad to have you here!