Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Make It! Pan Fried Radishes


I'm not the biggest radish fan.  My daughter loves them with just a sprinkle of salt, but at most I can have a couple of pieces that way.  I try to have them around for her when they are in season, but because I tend to avoid them, sometimes they are forgotten in the fridge.

Recently I had forgotten to put the radishes in the crisper drawer and after a few days they already started to wilt. Not knowing what to do with wilty radishes I left them a few more days.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do. They were still edible, but would need to be prepared quickly.

I decided I'd try something a little different.  I sliced them up and pan fried them on high heat in a little butter.  I salted them and sprinkled  a little seasoning on top.  They turned out amazing! All the bitter/spicy bite of the radish was gone, but there was still a ton of flavor.

The other night I had a couple of friends over for dinner and I wanted to recreate this dish.  I was out of butter so I just used a dash of grape seed oil in the pan. I also used the inner parts of the rough broccoli stalk I had leftover, and sliced them thinly.  I sprinkled the sliced radishes and the broccoli stalk with salt and a little thyme and some pepper.

I cooked on high in a ceramic sautee pan, flipping the radishes and stalks frequently so they wouldn't burn.  They were done when they were well cooked and a light golden brown. Again, they turned out delicious! They were a big hit and the first thing to be eaten up by everyone.

This is an easy dish that takes only a few minutes to prep. It can be cooked in any kind of fat, and any many spices would go well with it.  Or you can just stick to salt and pepper.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Have you ever cooked radishes? What do you cook that most people eat raw?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many minds are better than one, thank you for joining me on my frugal journey! This is a place to share what you know, ask questions, or tell stories. Glad to have you here!